Monday, May 21, 2007

Isprakenhayt

The title may sound German but doesn't translate to anything sensible in German. It's how Filipinos refer to something German. The nearest one can discern from the word is "sprache," which means "language."

There was a gathering for former scholars and Germans working for German institutions based here in the Philippines at the German Ambassador's place last Friday which I got invited to and attended. It was really enjoyable chatting with those who have been there and done that. Many were raving about how beautiful Freiburg is and how I would enjoy my time there. It got me all the more hyped-up to going there. I had my first taste of authentic "German cuisine" which were mostly cold cuts. There were some that I liked and while there was this achara-like (pickled papaya) stuff which was uhm, "different."

No comments: